The State Department will start accepting online registrations for the fiscal Year (FY) 2024 Diversity Visa (DV) lottery beginning Wednesday, 5th October 2022, around early afternoon EDT. Foreign nationals who wish to enter the lottery have until Tuesday, 8th November 2022, at noon EST to file online.
For FY 2024, the DV lottery program will make up to 55,000 green card numbers available through random selection. Also, FY 2024 lottery results will be declared in May 2023. Foreign nationals chosen in the FY 2024 lottery can submit their green card applications starting on 1st October 2023.
Who is eligible to enter the FY 2024 Diversity Visa Lottery?
- The DV lottery is available to natives of nations that have historically low rates of immigration to the US.
- People from nations with high rates of U.S. immigration are not eligible to register.
- This year, those born in the following nations are ineligible: Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (including Hong Kong SAR), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Joined Realm (except Northern Ireland) and its dependent territories, Venezuela, and Vietnam.
- People born in Macau SAR and Taiwan can participate.
- The people who can’t register because their country of birth is excluded may be able to qualify through a spouse who was born in an eligible country or, in certain circumstances, through a parent’s country of birth.
- Entrants should have essentially a secondary school education (or same) or two years of qualifying work experience within the past five years.
Registering for the lottery
- Participants should submit an online form and a digital photograph through the official DV lottery site. However, DV lottery candidates might include a spouse and kids for their entrance.
- Just a single entry is allowed per individual. If there are numerous registrations on behalf of one individual, every one of them is disqualified.
- Candidates should carefully follow the State Department’s official lottery instructions. Lottery entries and digital photographs that don’t precisely conform to the instructions will be disqualified.
- When the application is accepted, applicants will get a confirmation number, which can be used to check the status of their application.
How lottery winners are chosen and notified
Moreover, the State Department chooses lottery winners by random computer selection. Results will be issued beginning 6th May 2023 through 30th September 2024, on the official DV lottery entry status website.
Foreign nationals can learn whether they were selected only by visiting the official DV site and entering their confirmation number. The State Department does not notify entry by letter, email, fax, or phone. Also, the official site is the only legitimate source of lottery results.