The US Citizenship Act of 2021 will increase the number of individuals that are qualified to acquire green cards via their employment. It also helps in freeing the current per-country quotas. Moreover, the bill keeps children from getting too old to receive a green card. While waiting for the priority dates to change to current.
Employment-Based Green Cards
Here are some important details about this category of the bill.
- There will be an increase from 140,000 in the total number of available green cards in the Employment-based categories to 170,000 yearly. Additionally, there would be an increment of EB-3 green cards by 30,000 in the unskilled worker category.
- There would be exceptions from numerical limits for Ph.D. degree holders. From colleges in the United States in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM fields).
- There would be no numerical limits for those individuals that have an approved visa petition. But have been for over 10 years for the priority date to change to current. Accordingly, individuals in such situations could apply for green cards immediately. When the US Citizenship Act of 2021 is signed into law, this condition would be effective 60 days after being signed.
- As of 1st October 2021, there will no longer be a 7% per-country quota.
- Spouses and children would not be counted against green card numerical limits any longer after this bill is signed into law.
- Employment-based green cards that were not used between 1992 and 2020 would be accepted into the system once more. There is an estimation that there are more than 200,000 such green cards.
- DHS would have the option to create a 5-year pilot program that permits municipal executives or county executives to petition for a maximum of 10,000 immigrant visas each year. This would be done to help the economic development strategies of the respective regions. Employers would need to certify that there jobs available for the immigrants. As there are no workers in the US there to perform said jobs.
- DOL and DHS would have the option to give regulations. To stop issuing EB2 and EB3 green cards temporarily in regions that have high unemployment.
US Citizenship Act of 2021 | Other Provisions
- The US Citizenship Act of 2021 would abolish the 1-year deadline for individuals who wish to apply for asylum in the United States.
- The number of green card winners via the Diversity Visa Lottery would see an increase from 55,000 to 80,000 yearly.
- The bill would eliminate the 3 and 10-year unlawful presence bars.